Sunday, July 13, 2014

#Kinderblog14, Week 2: Letters to the Editor

Hello again, friends! I know it is already Monday in some parts of the world, but it's still Sunday in my beautiful Mountain Time Zone, so I AM NOT LATE YET!

I loved loved loved reading your responses to the Week #1 challenge, so much so that I sort of want to just make you all finish ANOTHER draft post, just to see what we are all hesitant and unsure about. I sometimes feel like the bravest thing we do, as bloggers, is hit "publish" and wait for the response.

HOWEVER, I imagine you all would like a new challenge, so here it is. (Please note that this will still required you to Be Brave). This is a new sort of challenge (almost like a field trip!) and it has 2 parts:

1: ANYWHERE ON THE GREAT WIDE INTERWEBZ: Find an article or blog post that you do not agree with, and post your response in the comments of that article/post. Obviously, do this in a way that is respectful, professional, and kind, but BE CLEAR about your points of disagreement and the reasons for them.

2: On your OWN blog, share a link to the article, a brief summary of it, and tell us WHY it pressed your buttons. Is it just plain WRONG? It is misleading? Is it misinformed, or not adequately informed? Is it striking a nerve for you personally because of a specific situation or experience?

Yeah. I know. I am totally pushing you to air some of your dirty laundry. It feels good. Trust me.

When you're all done, tweet the link with the #kinderblog tag, share it in the comments below, and/or on our Facebook page.

Ok... go!


6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting challenge. When I read a post that seems like it's whack, I usually stop reading and move away from it. I don't go into that persons turf and disrupt the flow they have going with their fans. Disagreeing can often lead to a backlash from others who support the OP (original poster.) I am often called out for my lack of tact so I think it may be in my best interest to sit this one out and watch how more skillful people do it. Keeping us fresh here, Amy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://withliteracyinmind.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/kinderblog14-letters-to-the-editor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well written. Wondering if you have had a chance to read the response. I think it was well approached from both parties commenting.

      Delete
  3. I had a hard time with this one. Coming up with a topic and actually expressing disagreement is not something I'm very comfortable with. Here is a little rant about data walls. http://bit.ly/Wgourc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a K teacher, but enjoyed being involved in the past with Kinderchat guest posting and have continued to follow. Thought I might get involved with this summer challenge, but find that since I blog to communicate with parents the thoughts you are requesting do not really fit. I'll join in by following and commenting at this time. I believe it's important to express thoughts that may be of a different slant from the individual posting, but have found that a site like LinkedIn provides me with a more appropriate forum to do that, than commenting on blogs. The purpose for stating my points is to cause reflection, not just to state them. I appreciate the way a diverse discussion will continue on LinkIn. I agree with Gail, if I think a blog post is whack, I move on and often do not come back. There are too many inspiring pieces to waste time on negative works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a response to my comment... Not going to lie, I was a little nervous about that! I stand by my comments though, even if she feels I missed the point of her post...

    Leigh Langton July 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM
    WOW! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful and detailed opinion on writing instruction. I think you missed the point of my post, but I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. I totally agree that student's should feel unrestrained when writing, but I am a firm believer that teaching writing structure (especially for reluctant writers) will further creative writing. It harbors a "safe house" where students feel they can explore the writing process without worrying about structure. I've seen this structure used to create elaborate multi-chapter stories from 8 year olds in my own classroom. That's the beauty of it. It can be bent and molded to fit the needs of the user, while serving as a reminder of the key components exceptional writings pertain. The formula I mention is just the "training wheels" for students to use before they write on their own. Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share and for starting this writing instruction dialogue. Thanks!

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete